” Dear Sir,
I’m a journalist; I write regarding Phil Hill’s recent Somerset County Gazette article headlined “Public urged to video preacher”.
In the article Sergeant Kimmins is quoted as describing Mr Overd’s message as “abuse” and he is also quoted as asserting that Mr Overd manifests as “being hostile” towards the public. In the article Sergeant Kimmins is also quoted making reference to “Homophobia”.
I have a few questions for Sergeant Kimmins please:
(1) Sergeant Kimmins, it appears you favour homosexual behaviour over the sexual morality advocated by Mr Overd. Are you a practising homosexual? Or are you a political activist for the homosexual lobby?
(2) Exactly why do you consider Mr Overd or his message to be hostile or abusive? What has Mr Overd said or done that you consider to be hostile or abusive?
(3) Exactly what do you mean by the word “homophobia”? If by this word you mean ‘hatred of homosexual people’, what evidence do you have for attributing any such hatred to Mr Overd?
(4) What law(s) do you believe Mr Overd may have broken or be breaking?
(5) Why have you not charged Mr Overd with anything to date, given that you’ve made statements to the press which appear to imply that you view Mr Overd as a criminal? Is such conduct – i.e. your remarks to the press – not prejudicial? Moreover, is such conduct not defamatory of Mr Overd?
(6) It’s unusual that you haven’t charged Mr Overd with anything, and yet have made what appear to be highly prejudicial comments to the press. Furthermore, any prosecution of Mr Overd would likely receive a lot of media attention. How would you respond to comments that you’re an attention seeker with an axe to grind, that you’re seeking to stir up the public against someone you’ve taken a personal dislike to?
(7) In view of all current policing concerns in regard of Taunton town centre, how high a priority is silencing Mr Overd for you, in comparison with, say, preventing and detecting thefts, assaults, criminal damage, drug dealing or drunk/disorderly behaviour?
(8) Do you wish to suppress the freedom of speech of any other person, besides this Christian evangelist, in Taunton town centre? If so, who and why?
(9) Have you ever been a participant – whether in or out of police uniform – in a ‘gay pride’ march or similar homosexual event?
(10) Public ‘Gay Pride’ events might reasonably be viewed as ‘homosexual evangelism’ – i.e. publicly encouraging others towards homosexual behaviour (just as Mr Overd, a Christian, publicly encourages others towards the behaviour he approves). Plenty of people take offence at ‘gay pride’ events. In your own words, what do you think about public displays of ‘gay pride’? In particular, do you have anything negative or critical to say about ‘gay pride’?
Thank you for your assistance in this matter.
Mr. Richard Carvath. “